Sunday, January 4, 2009

No Words

Today as The G and I sat opposite each other quietly working, a Chinese couple walked into the coffee shop and came and sat behind us. They dragged the sofa chairs around, so they could face each other and then settled down quietly. I waited for them to begin talking.
And then I waited some more.
I shifted in my seat,stuck my neck out,trying to catch a few bits of conversation. No Joy!
Fifteen minutes later - still no words.
"Aha!" I thought and motioned to The G.He raised his eyebrows questioningly, irritated by the interruption.
"They`re not talking," I whispered and grinned meaningfully.
The G isnt too big on the talking scene. He would happily spend time with me, reading a book, listening to a favourite track, planning things out or even cooking together.But he would not talk. Not to spend time, no. And somehow I`ve always held that against him.
"Ofcourse they`re not", he said and got down to work again.
I waited some more.Five minutes later and still no words. I turned back in curiosity.
There they were, the two of them. Mustve been around 50 years of age. Conversing like I have never seen two people converse before. Two pairs of eyes locked into each other. One excited,gleaming,bubbling over. The other quietly smiling. Their fingers moving in synchrony. Graceful. Fluid. Faces alive with unspoken words. Eyes brimming over with unuttered love. Thoughts tumbling down through fingertips like snowflakes from Heaven. Soft. Untouched. Electrifying.
I looked across the table at The G. He looked up and smiled.
There are times when words can be done without. This was one of them.

10 comments:

Amrita said...

:) hmmmm when u say nothing at all :) got reminded of tht....
have blogrolled ya :)

my space said...

beautiful..u dont need words to converse!

Sunshine said...

Reminds me of that song by Ronan Keating - When You Say Nothing At All...

The smile on your face
Lets me know
That you need me
There's a truth
In your eyes
Saying you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says
You'll catch me
Whenever I fall
You say it best
When you say
Nothing at all

Jira said...

Yeah... Communication doesn't always need words...Especillay to communicate love!

Renu said...

you have woven a poetry into the prose:), lovely conversation:)

Bong Mom said...

Thanks for your kind words :) I am no great cook either, like writing better than cooking and need to cook to survive

anudivya said...

That was beautiful... I talk a lot, I wish I could be like that one day! :)

Piper .. said...

Amrita / Sunshine:
yeah, its my all-time fav song too :)

My Space / Jira / Renu/ Anudivya :

I wish I could be a lil less vocal too :) Sometimes we dont need words, do we? But here, the couple in qstn were deaf. And I was mesmerized by their communication!

Sandeepa: Ah! you`re being so modest now. You dont cook to survive. You survive to cook! :) I shall be eternally grateful to you for all I`ve learnt from your blog :)

D said...

I am uncomfortable with silence. And there are people who know nothing else!

PS: Why don't your blog updates show on my blog list? Is it something to do with your settings?

J P Joshi said...

A beautiful post on a very sensitive subject, and put across so beautifully..........

"Two pairs of eyes locked into each other. One excited,gleaming,bubbling over. The other quietly smiling. Their fingers moving in synchrony. Graceful. Fluid. Faces alive with unspoken words. Eyes brimming over with unuttered love. Thoughts tumbling down through fingertips like snowflakes from Heaven. Soft. Untouched. Electrifying".