Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Here`s toMom & Dad..

I never really write about my family – my folks back home, my inlaws or the cute little devils in the family. It’s a conscious decision not to write about family. Because most of them aren’t happy about being discussed on a public forum. I don’t necessarily see the logic in this statement, as I don’t in most others that they make. But like always(or mostly) I have reconciled to not writing about family.
Today,however, happens to be a special day. So I shall break the unwritten rule for once.

Sometime back, I read this letter written by a six year old.
“Dear God,” she wrote..
I bet it is very hard for you to love all of everybody in the whole world at all times. There are only five people in my family and I can never do it.
-Nan
I was astounded by the truth in this simple statement.
I wish I could say that I`m very happy with where I am, in the relationship with my folks back home. But I cant.
Because I`m not.
But I can say this much.
I`m very happy with where they are, in their relationship with each other.
My Mom and Dad, by chronology, have completed 35 years of togetherness today. By all other standards, it’s an eternity lived over and over again.

For a change, Dad sounded animated on the phone today.
“Happy Anniversary Baba! 35 years huh?!!”
“Thank you, thank you!” he beamed, “ Yes,35 years with Mom!”
“Yeah..Hats Off!! A Standing Ovation to you”
“Yeah yeah, join the kids and make fun of me,” Ma shouted somewhere in the background, amidst a thunderous roar of laughter from Dad,that is still resounding in my ears.
The happiness was palpable through the phone line.
My relationship with them has never been a breezy walk by the lake on a warm summer afternoon. Infact it has been more like an urgent sprint across slushy, sliperry terrains in a raging snowstorm. But it has vastly improved over the years, although I guess I`ll forever have my differences.
Oh they have been around to help me pick up the pieces when my world was falling apart. They taught me time and again,to recognize the slow,calculated circling of an eagle before it swooped down on me with extended talons.
They religiously repeated those lessons through the years and yet I never learnt.
They were disappointed. Disgusted. Even angry.
But They were there all the same. They never gave up on me.
I`ve shouted abuses(yes!Unbelievable as it sounds), thrown sickeningly horrific tantrums and locked myself up in the room. I`ve spent hours planning an escape.
I`ve nursed grudges forever. I`ve blamed them for who I have become.I`ve spent my life finding faults with them. I`ve hated them for the negativity I see in them.
Never an open arm and or a warm hug. Never a word of love or appreciation. And yet, I find comfort in their constant presence. I feel reassured, knowing they are the only people in the world who shall accept me unconditionally. Whether I`m good or very very bad, I shall not be abandoned. I shall always be theirs. To love or to hate. But I shall be theirs. Which is more than what I can say for any other relationship that I share.
I see them after all these years. Time having left unmistakable prints on their physique, while their minds and hearts continue to be startlingly fresh.
And I feel like talking to them. You know, I never really had an adult conversation with them ever.
“You guys could have done better. A lot better,” I`d say.
“ But thank you for trying atleast.
I know you gave up the comforts of your own lives, so we(my sister and me) could live out our dreams. Thank you for all of that.
(But really, did it matter so much if I lost three water-bottles in a row, in school? Or that I got 15 instead of 18 in a Maths test? Could it not have been overlooked?)
Do I wish you were better/stronger/ warmer/friendlier people? I guess.
But I wouldn’t ever want to trade places with anyone else.
I wouldn’t ever give up on you. Really I wouldnt.
Because you never gave up on me.”

22 comments:

Deeps said...

What a wonderful wonderful post,Piper!Choked with emotions!The fact that despite having your differences,you have such high regards for your parents proves that you are such a warm&kind-hearted person.
All of us have our differences with our parents,I guess.Thats what is generation gap.To recognise and overlook that is what is important.
A Very Happy Anniersary to your parents.Please wish them from my end

Fram Actual said...

Fascinating to read, but I'm certain you know that.

This is my first visit to your blog, and curiosity strikes. You say you a doctor. If you would, please, what specialty?

Amrita said...

hmm hmm.... i get the drift.... very poignant post... and loved the comparision "more like an urgent sprint across slushy, sliperry terrains in a raging snowstorm"

wish many more blissful years to ur parents...and as they say u understand parents better once u bcum parents... :)

Jira said...

This was such a touching post Piper, staright from the heart! Kids will be kids, and teens will be teens. We cannot aquire the wisdom that comes with age, when we are kids. I bet most of us have behaved arrogantly, with a know-it-all attitude, not accepting everything our parents have to say, when we were younger. I guess that's how life is!

I am sure my kids will act the same way. But the best part is that, I know it will happen, and I am not going to hate them for that. Just like how my parents never gave up on me, no matter how many tantrums I threw! But as we grow up, we realise how it is to be in their shoes, and we learn. That's growth and that's life!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sunshine I agree with you. They are the only ones who never judge you or will knowingly hurt you. Disagreeing is a human thing. We disagree with even the people we love the most!
It is so sad though that the number of old age homes in India are on the increase and people seem to have forgotten their filial duties!
Anyway, Happy Anniversary to the 2 most important people in your world!
Anon (BTW: Happy Republic day)

Spontaneous Mini said...

Ohh Piper,
what a poignant, emotional post and rings so true. I identify with some of that thus your post is that much special.
A prayer for you and your parents- Happiness always.

Anonymous said...

Such a touching post, you inspire me to be a better Mom before it gets too late

sandeepa

Piper .. said...

Deeps: Thanks for the wishes. I shall convey them :) And yes, its important to overlook. Not only important, its near impossible for me. That`s how unforgiving I am.. :( but I`m trying.

Fram: Welcome!
"If you would, please, what specialty?"
I would not, but for the 'please'! :)
But since its a request, Thou shalt be oblidged!
I`m a medical graduate by education,an ex-army officer by indiscretion, a home-maker by circumstance, an aspiring health care executive by ambition and a blogger by choice. What then is my speciality? You tell me buddy..
(ha! now you see what a sore point you`ve touched!):)
(On a serious note, I have given up plans for residency. Intend to join Healthcare Administration instead).
I`m hoping this wont be your last visit. :)

Amrita: I hope I understand them better before I become a mom. Its important really.

Jira: I guess we all realize, dont we? Even if it is difficult to acknowledge..

Anon: Why do old age homes have a negative connotation back home? Its something I have often wondered about. I shall do a post on this soon. Thanks for the wishes.

Mini: Thank you, my friend. A prayer would mean a lot.

Sandeepa: now you`re kidding! I cant inspire anyone to be anything, let alone a better mom!!
*Piper gasps in utter disbelief*
But thank you so much for the wonderful comment! :) Its one of the best compliments I`ve ever recieved :)

Nonsufficitorbis said...

Hello Piper :)

Am delurking after months of reading your blog. Very deep...most of them. I particularly loved the relaxed post on 'bridges of madison county'
So, what is it that smoked me out of the hole? learning that you are trained to be a physician, planning on getting a HCA degree and everything else :) Lotz in common between us.
Happy blogging...ciao!

Renu said...

Oh Piper. so emotional post, raw emotions, always touch u so much.
First of all a very happy anniversary to ur parents ! wish them many more !
U see , even when My dayughter was studying..she was a topper and when her friends felt exulted at 85%, my daughter used to tell her friends...but my mom will ask why 98..where are the two marks? She also wondered why i was not happy with her getting 95 while her friend's mothers would have been at the top of world if their daughters got it.The difference lied in my expectation from her due to her capabilities. Today she is so well placed in life because of her studies only. But I always loved her so much..may be sometimes parents are not so vocal about so many things.
Even my children used to break one water bottle evry week:)..its still a joke in our family that my hubby used to buy water bottles by a dozen....same for the keds..once in a month.
Even my son says..that we never appreciated him when he came 5th..we wated hin to come in first 3 and when he came 3rd, still we were not happy, wanted him first and so he never got much appreciation. it all makes me feel so bad...but I was not so aware or evolved and now I cant piut the clock back--but ur post brought tears to my eyes....parents always love their children most, but they are the one swho hurt the most also by their ignorance..I must stop, otherwise I will start crying:)

Piper .. said...

Nonsufficitorbis : Thanks for your comment.And I`m sorry I had already published your comment before I read your second one :( Is that an issue? Thanks for your lovely words though.

Renu: Oh Renu! I dont know what to say..Pbly it is not very common in Indian families, to open express their emotions to kids. I cant really generalize though. But I observe it in the parents here, who are so much more open about expressing their love, than my parents ever were.
Dont feel bad though. I`m sure your children understand, just as I do, inspite of the differences with my parents.Thank you for your comment. Hugs

Fram Actual said...

Thank you, for your acknowledgement of my comment, Piper, and also for visiting my page. I cannot help but wonder if being an administrator of a health care facility is not a greater challenge than being a practicing doctor these days. Whichever direction you choose, best wishes and good luck in your endeavors.

I will check back periodically to read your page and, possibly, to make a comment or two in response.

DeeplyDip said...

Firstly a Happy Anniversary to your parents!
This was an emotional post...the relation may be a little difficult (just like any other) but as you said - you are sure they are there for you always - and that matters the most...

Amrita said...

Hmmm... before you become a mom... i hope you attain that.. but i feel parenthood is soooo damn different.. its difficult to have that learning before experiencing it..
as an example.. sometimes i used to think why my mom nearly claws my dad by nagging him... been with him for 25+ years she shd no better that thts one thing he hates... but no..
and now i see myself doin the very same thing to K! Ironic yes... life comes full circle... Of course yes! So just take it slow... and once u understand them better.. dont b sad tht u were took time.. be glad that u finally did...

did it seem too pedantic? :S

Renu said...

Now i say hundred times a day ..I love u to them and I always say that i would like to make up for any thing I did earlier and which they didnt like...of course they smile and say that i did my best and though it is the truth also but it never takes awy the regret i always feel:(

Sunshine said...

I think im still in the struggling-with-parents phase of my life...sometimes i wonder if ill ever get to the stage where u are...i guess there are some things only time can tell!

Life Of A Domestic Diva said...

Aww :-)how absolutely touching. Happy Anniversary to your parents! I'm off to call my Baba...missing him after reading your post.

Piper .. said...

DeeplyDip: Thank you for the wishes :)

Amrita: pedantic? not at all..what you say makes perfect sense.

Renu: Ohh chill now Renu! I shall email you at length about this and then we can talk.

Sunshine: Trust me you will find your peace soon.

Domestic Diva(!!) : :) Thank you! Did you call up home?

Mystic Margarita said...

What a heartfelt post, Piper. Straight from the heart and something, I'm sure, all of us can identify with.

Have been off the blogging circuit - and just catching up on old posts. Off to read the previous one now.

And - Happy 35th anniversary to kaku and kakima. And may there be many many more to come.

Reflections said...

A touching post Piper.....so much cd be read inbetween the lines....and something all of us can relate to.

1 thing I can safely say....once u become a parent, a lot of wht ur parents went thru will become clear to u.....mayb u wont still agree with it but atleast u'll understand:-).

Just call me 'A' said...

wow, 35 years....and a wonderful post to summarise it for them. Straight from the heart and emotion filled. happy anniversary to your parents.

now hop over to my blog for your awards :)

Anonymous said...

I am very touching by this straight-from-the-heart post. I guess we all have our grudges and hatred against our parents, for their insensitivities. But the fact remains, like you have so beautifully put it, that we are instantly comforted by their presence. I think its because they accept us the way we are. God bless them! And I hope we make better parents than they have been ;-)))