Friday, January 16, 2009

A Lesson Learnt - Part 3

Kolkata
Dec 2008

I dragged myself around the corner to the rickshaw stand, wiping away a wet forehead on a sultry december afternoon. There was only one rickshaw waiting at the stand. In exasperated resignation, I hoisted myself onto the battered seat and snapped at the puller to move it and move it fast. I didnt have all day to spend.
I sat impatient and edgy, as the man huffed and puffed(was it my weight, I now wonder?!) uphill towards the pharmacy.
You know how there are some days when you hate everything and everyone around you, feel like snapping their heads off and usually do?
This was one such day. I hated being where I was. I longed for the comfort of My Iona Home.
And suddenly, my train of thought was interrupted by a fresh dribble of sweat across my face. The rickshaw was not moving.
"What the..", I said to the man,only to see a big van blocking the way. The rickshaw wala backed off a little, allowing the van to pass.
And we came and stood in front of an old building that had seen it all. Battered by the years gone by. Its bricks crushed by the weight of abandoned dreams. A forlorn dilapidated skeleton, yet standing tall.
And just as I was turning away, I saw a small door at the street level that opened onto a dimly lit room beyond. In my frame of view,I could see a wooden charpoy frame strung with long ropes and balanced on broken red bricks. A couple of steel vessels lying one on top of the other on a black floor. And an old woman sitting there facing the door, with a little boy of 3, singing songs to him and teaching him to clap.
"Probably care-takers," I thought and instantly dismissed them off, until I noticed the rickshaw puller peer inside. And just then the little boy jumped up and came running out.
"Baba (Father!)!" he waved excitedly.
"Aikhon noy (Not now)," said the embarrassed rickshaw puller and hurriedly moved ahead for fear of another jab. But I could hear the smile in his voice.
He kept waving one hand over his head, until we completely turned around the corner.
I sat stunned, all the irritation suddenly evaporating. A muscle contracting in shame.
Did I really forget how to smile?


Part 2

Part 1

14 comments:

Renu said...

No, you havent forgotten to smile, but everybody is human also and when we are facing the adverse day, everything is iritating us and smile is rare.
But i always believe in....this too shall pass:)

D said...

Poignant, Piper.

Life's like that. It hardens us. And it takes a lot of effort to keep the soft insides of our heart intact.

DeeplyDip said...

your blog did not update on my blog...it hasn't for a while now...just saw your posts now...so will go through them all in some time...
by the way cheer up. it happens at times...as renu said "this too shall pass" :)

Renu said...

ur blog doesnt update on mine also:(

Amrita said...

hmm... take care.... hope u keep coming across such small moments which bring in the curve back on ur face..

my space said...

hmm the sensitive soul is THERE ...just that time has hardened our views and perspectives..

Jira said...

Sometimes we learn lessons in life and about ourselves the hard way...We think our troubles are the worst until we see life from someone else's perspective...

Reflections said...

its incidents like these which keep us grounded. That was lovely...thanks for sharing it

Piper .. said...

Renu: :) The more we have, the more we want. And hence, the irritation when those wants are not fulfilled! :)

D: you`re right. We start taking the lil things in life for granted and forget to see the magic..

DeeplyDip: I know.. there was a problem. But I guess I`ve managed to sort it out now. Does your list show my latest post now?

Amrita: Thanks! And i`m sure everyone comes across something like this from time to time..you know..that`s how we learn Life`s Lessons

My Space: I wouldnt say 'hardened" necessarily. Pbly we`re too busy concentrating on the bigger pleasures to take heed of the smaller ones in life. What say?

Jira: True, true.. But I wasnt looking at the troubles of the rickshaw puller. Just the fact that he chose to concentrate on the better things in his life.. Cant say the same for me, can I?

Reflections: You`re welcome! :) There are so many lil lessons I`ve managed to learn..you`re right. They keep me grounded..

Just call me 'A' said...

i feel really bad to sit on rickshaws..esp the hand pull ones in cal. i know it's their livelihood but still :(.
Life teaches us many lessons and not necessarily in the way it should.
Smile :).
also, you've been tagged. because i would like to know more of you :). so take it up at leisure.

take care

Deeps said...

So very very heartwrenching!Its incidents like these that make us realise how blessed we are in our lives!
First time here,came through A.Glad to have stumbled upon this blog of yours.will look forward to reading you more often.

Piper .. said...

A: Yes, the Govt had banned the hand pulled rickshaws of Kolkata. But its their livelihood after all. So the rule just got flushed down the drain, like scores of others!

Deeps: Welcome! :) And thank you so much for your comment. Do visit again.

J P Joshi said...

A real world story full of heart and soul, told as it unfolded, and so simply and beautifully put across.

This reminded me of a hoarding i had seen many years ago on the Marine Drive in Bombay outside a five star hotel. It said, "I complained that i had no shoes until I saw someone without feet".

Keep feeling, and writing.

Bong Mom said...

Touching

Guess such small incidents tells us to prioritize of what we want in our life