Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Lesson Learnt...

October 2007
Kolkata

The clock on the railway platform said 5:18 am. I sat by the window seat in the ladies compartment,watching fellow commuters scuttle across the crowded Sealdah Station. Loud voices screaming out to each other. Aroma of tea rising up in the morning air.Vendors hurriedly loading their barrels and wicker baskets onto the train. Newspaper men juggling enormous bundles. Last minute rush onto the ladies compartment. Catfights. And the smell of sweat, even at that ungodly hour. I sat there, waiting patiently for the train to leave. It would be any minute now. All of a sudden I heard this loud din and I looked across the aisle towards the door. Two hefty vendors were holding up an old man and literally shoving him into the ladies compartment where I was sitting. I realized minutes later, that it was only because his frame was so crooked, he could barely stand up straight. For a moment I wavered. Didnt know what to do. Should I get up and help the old man,who was by now,on his knees, and fishing for something in the torn satchel that he was carrying. But he looked a little scary. Tattered clothes. Broken glasses. Wrinkled skin. Shrivelled up eye brows covering two muddy yellow eyes. Forehead knotted by the years. And for a moment I felt sorry for him. Here was a man,not less than 90 years of age, threading his way from one train to the next, begging to live through just another day. What on earth could have happened to compel him into such dire straits? Didnt he have a family? What kind of a job did he do when he was young and more able-bodied? Or did he forever make a living out of the alms thrown to him by the daily commuters.
And then I saw him stagger towards me with a small packet of peanuts. He came and stood in front of me , offered me the packet and said,
" Ek taka" ( One rupee a packet).
A disclaimer at this point. I dont like peanuts. I can even go to the extent of saying that I really hate peanuts. Cannot stand the sight,smell or taste of it. I can be quite quirky that way!
But I certainly didnt want to turn the old fellow down. Whatever little expectations he had from me (even if it was a rupee) I didnt want to disappoint him. I was too busy feeling sorry for him!
So I fished in my bag for a 2 rupee coin and extended it to him. He thrust 2 peanut bags in my hands. I quickly returned them, saying,
"na na eta chai na" (no,no I dont want these).

And time stood still just then, for this one moment of truth to sink in.

He slowly took out a 2 rupee coin from his satchel and kept it on the seat beside me. Then looked me straight in the eye and said,
" Gorib thiki. Kintu bhikhkhe chai na. Kaaj korchi!"
( I may be poor but I`m not a beggar. I work!).
He walked away, leaving a downright ashamed me with another of Life`s lessons I`ll never ever forget..

18 comments:

Jira said...

that was powerful piper..
Stirred something inside me!

Hats off to that old man!

Mira's mom said...

Hey, very glad that the old man didn't turn out the way you expected him to be. Btw, when are you giving me the award for being the first on your blog almost always? :-)

Piper .. said...

Jira: yes,it was wrong on my part for being so sanctimonious. Who did I think I was anyway, trying to be charitable at inappropriate moments?

M`s Mom: :) yup, everytime I publish,I wait for your comment to come first! :) Thank you for your unwavering interest! :) I`m also suspecting it has something to do with the time zome you`re in, if you know what I mean! :)

D said...

To live with dignity even in the most trying of circumstances must be the hardest test to pass.

Nisha said...

I admire such people so much. There are millions like these and they are living inspirations.
its times like these that i feel lucky. and its times like these when i feel i can do so much more.
nice post...

Apple Bee said...

I can honestly say that I don't have half the character that he has :-( I would have probably taken it if I were in his shoes...only consolation being that I would have been greatful :-)

my space said...

Integrity and dignity...i wish we all could be as strong as him...you have described it so well-i can visualise the scene.
Btw recently got a mail about mumbais rich beggars-most of them have a 1bhk!!

my space said...

hmm.. btw put u on my blogroll--after considerable effort,thanks to my non existent technical skills!

Sukhaloka said...

I have always respected that... which is why there are some of the roadside performers on the bus that i always pay, while most I just wave off.
And funny coincidence - just the other day a man got onto the bus I was in. He walked with a stick and pronounced limp, selling peanuts. I didn't want any just then, but I bought them anyway.

Such a difference between the able-bodied beggars on the streets and these men working so hard to earn a living!

Anonymous said...

It is true that the poor in our country still have some principles in life unlike our politicians who are rich and can afford to not be dishonest!
Sometime I feel so helpless seeing these poor people especially children begging. I feel guilty for having everything.
Anon

Piper .. said...

D, Nisha, Apple Bee,My Space, Suki and Anon(i wish you`d leave a name though!) :

Thanks for all the insights, all of which are so true. And yet, its educated people like me who get sanctimonious once in a while and end up disrespecting people like this old man.I should have taken the 2 packets he was offering.Period. I didnt have to show him how 'charitable' I was! That`s the lesson learnt. To respect another human being just as I would respect myself.

Mystic Margarita said...

Honesty, hard work, and integrity are qualities that are becoming increasingly hard to come by. I'm glad you were lucky enough to meet, however fleetingly, a man who stands for these values, even at the face of such adversity. Beautifully poignat.

Mira's mom said...

Hey Piper, thanks for asking - all's well in Bangkok. It isn't like India at all - even the biggest of processions usually go violence - free.

Piper .. said...

Mystic M : Gee! thanks for the wonderful comment! :) and you`re right, I have been lucky to come across someone like that, even though I was quite a *$#@ head!! But like I said, lesson learnt!

Mira`s Mom: yes, but this time there was a lot of violence involved. They were showing it on tv and I was wondering if you live anywhere close by :) Good that you dont!

Reflections said...

Its a lesson for all of us....any of us cd have been in that position tho if it had me I wd have quietly taken the peanuts & disposed them off later;-D

Good Read!!!!!!!wpali

Anjuli said...

wow- this was an awesome post!!! Really really powerful. You captured the sights and sounds of the train station- I was there with you- and the interaction with the peanut seller. What an amazing ending to the story.

Sunshine said...

brilliant! its a lesson i think we all should learn somewhere along the way... :)

Winnie the poohi said...

Touching story..

Somehow independence and pride in it always touches us isnt it?