Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The House at Iona Lane

We moved into our dream home yesterday. Moved our stuff along with all the memories. And I`m back to the old,now empty house today to finish up the cleaning before we hand over the property back to the university guys. As I sit here on the floor by the glass door typing away my thoughts, I feel a tinge of sadness laced with nostalgia about the life I had here and the knowledge that it wont ever be the same again. This is a small 2 rooms townhome where we always had to struggle to fit in all our things. We had to put on hold so many plans like buying the kind of furniture we liked, just because the house was too small to accomodate. But it was the first home I had after marriage. Here is where I spent happy afternoons,sprawled out on the couch reading. Or watching the rain beat down the glass door. Or learnt to cook a full meal. Here is where I spent time with The Goltin, honeymooning!
The new house at Iona is splendid in every way I can imagine. Its huge.It has 3 bedrooms, other than a big family room and a glass covered all seasons porch. And it is in a splendid "high-demand" neighbourhood. It is everything that The Goltin and me had ever imagined our first home to be like. And yet it isnt home, as yet..
Last evening as we were standing on the lawn outside and admiring the most expensive investment of our lives, the neighbours all walked over to where we stood. And we stood there,The Goltin and me, under the Big Tree on our lawn,chatting up with them. The light summer breeze was straddling the afterglow of the setting sun.And it felt just right.It felt warm and nice to be welcomed this way to the neighbourhood. They are all pleasant and caring old couples,some of whom have been living here for the last 40 years! I`m sure we will too - The Goltin and me. This house may not seem like home as yet.This house may not be the first home we stayed in after marriage.But it is definitely the very first home we own. And most definitely,the home we will grow old together in..
I`ll sign off here on a hopeful note. Shall definitely come back with more updates on settling down.

2 comments:

Life Of A Domestic Diva said...

Beautiful house Meenakshi.Congrats!I know exactly how you feel..I went through the same thing last year. Even now at times I miss our old and cosy apartment,though it's also really exciting to be doing up the new house :-D

Reflections said...

Beautiful post!!!!
So how do u feel about ur home now??? I bet u cant imagine living anywhere else:-))