Thursday, March 26, 2009

VOTE FOR EARTH!



Please excuse the rather weird way the picture has been masked. Didnt know how else to do it :)

Having grown up in an obscurity called Ranchi, 'load shedding' as it is referred to, is not strange or unfamiliar. Infact we have erratic day-time electricity hours there, while in the evenings, 6pm to 7pm and every alternate hour thereafter until 11pm. I believe the situation is pbly not much better than what it was 20 years back.
Hence, while in the Indian Army Medical Corps,when I was posted to Mendhar, Jammu & Kashmir, the concept of 'no lights after dark' didnt come across as alien.
The most beautiful memories of those times are of the underground shell-proof bunker that I would live in. A wooden cot with electrical generator wires spiraling down from the ceiling onto a 60W bulb. Two buckets of water in a makeshift bathroom. Spending the day watching raindrops slowly darken the hay on the roof and blue clouds assimilate into weird, inchoate shapes. Fingers itching with a desperate urge to grab the sun by its rays,yank it out of hiding and pull it over and across the black night. Strumming the guitar every now and then and listening to my own voice for inspiration.
Hurriedly finishing up dinner before the generators go out at 10. Walking out into the darkness to hear the distant roll of thunder. Marvel at the sensuous silhouettes of autumn trees heavy with copper leaves and the tiny lights in the distant villages, like stars carelessly strewn down and across the mountain slope. Dreaming of unknown places yet to be seen and a lifetime of existence and not just survival.. Cozy up inside the comforter and read 'Thornbirds' by candle light. Every now and then pick up the lifeless telephone set and let a tear drop float down. Soak up the heartache and wonder when you`ll get to hear Ma`s voice at the other end of the line. Sending a silent prayer up above for making it through yet another day. And falling asleep wishing there was someone to share the darkness with.
Looking back, it was gratifying. To be able to stretch the boundaries of self created constraints and pushing myself through yet another day.
Today, to prepare for an hour of darkness, I walked across the aisles at the grocery store, picking up scented candles and flowers for the evening.And I couldnt help but wonder at the contrast. There`s a smile in my heart and love in my eyes as I send a silent prayer to the Heavens Above. Because I shall spend an evening by candle light again. And I shall not be alone.
Sometimes wishes do come true.





An appeal to everybody who`s reading this. On March 28, between 8:30pm to 9:30pm, Please VOTE FOR EARTH by switching off your lights for one hour.

As I prepare to do so myself, my heart goes out to all those I`ve left behind in my journey of life, who continue to live in darkness. May God Bless them! Jai Hind!

19 comments:

neeraj_only said...

hey mishy.....situation very much same here (now...hehe).but here in BIT,mesra we don't have to face actual power situation of ranchi.still evening times these days is like...power goes off 7-8 times between 6pm to 9pm.

and indian army thing and kashmir..oye.. you have taken so many things from life , i must say (good to know).

good to know you are participating for this global cause.At-least for we "desi" people this is hardly any new thing.I found one very good article on this in "times of india" ..long ago....."lights off..life on".with summer times ahead we are looking forward to more of "load shedding".....hehe :)

moon said...

Recollecting difficult times, would seem wonderful now na...surviving those difficult conditions..

by the way , lights only off na, i can still switch on the A/c and watch Tv?

Fram Actual said...

Piper ....

You have lived a far more fascinating and intricate life than I realized. I had been going to ask if you were carrying a laptop on your trip so you could continue writing here. I see that the situation might be more complicated than that.

I am sure there are many who want to remain in contact with you if at all possible while you are at "home." I know I would like to. There are not many "magic girls" around, and I think you are one, and do not want to lose sight of you.

Piper .. said...

neeraj: I know its still the same. My parents still live there :)

sunder: no, no! You cant switch on AC/TV..its a call against global warning. No electric usage.
*a horrified Piper*
:):)

Fram: Ohh Fram!! you just made my day :):)I`m no magic girl,trust me! :) you`re being very sweet :):)
Ohh and I am planning to carry my laptop along. We do have a high-speed internet connection at home, though the use is limited to the times we have electricity :):)
after 11pm we almost always do! I`m making it sound like some remote village. It isnt so. Infact its the capital city of a state in India. And so things have dramatically improved over the past few years. But some living conditions continue to remain primitive. Its not only in Ranchi, its almost everywhere in India.
*Piper ducks under cover for fear of heavy blows by fellow Indians* :):)

Piper .. said...

Fram: and ohh..this picture is of the bunker in J&K. Can you the thatched roof?? :) Its not my home, as I`m sure you imagined :):)And that`s me in uniform, walking down towards the officers mess. Ohh we lived in style!

moon said...

Climate change should be the biggest challenge of the future..

UAE witnessed Snowfall this winter, can you imagine?

well small small things makes a big difference...i generally switch off the main switch after switching the computer / TV..

stopped wearing tie in summer..

Fram Actual said...

No, you silly girl. I assumed you were in the military situation that you had described, not at your home. You look cute in a uniform, by the way.

You must never have read my magic girl descriptions. Basically, it is for a mature woman to be able to maintain the maturity and wisdom of her years, while also having the enthusiasm and daring of a 20ish girl. I guess you must have meant that you are to young to be a magic girl when you said you were not one. Right?

I hope you will keep posting once in India.

Reflections said...

I love to read abt ur army life & lifestyle:-)).

"Having grown up in an obscurity called Ranchi, 'load shedding' as it is referred to, is not strange or unfamiliar."
U knw...this is exactly even my husband was saying...in a way our country has taught us to be prepared for a lot of things...infact now..we are actually nostaligic abt the power cuts we went thru at home. Even now they have them regularly in summer...its a way of life there.

Here in Dubai once a year the electricity is swtiched off for 4 hrs to do routine maintainence & they give us atleast 2-3 weeks notice:-)). And the elctricity is back within 2 hrs. I always smile when i see tht notice.

Anyways for a change even Dubai followed Earth Hour yesterday. Hotels, airports, all imp places showed their solidarity by using dimmed lights & most of us switched off the lights in our homes in mutual consent..

.....and went out:-D

Solilo said...

Mish, You were in Jammu? We were too. I mean I spend a part of my childhood in Jammu and Kashmir.

As for Earth hour, I was talking to a friend from India and she told me it is for us the people living abroad. In India where there is 4-5 hours of load shedding, power cut off for no reason and no electricity in villages, Earth hour is not for poor countries. Hmmm...what could I say?!

Piper .. said...

Sunder: yep, its the small things that make all the difference. I take special care to take the cell phone charger off the plug board when I`m not charging the cell - not something I would ever do. The charger would remain plugged in at all times! :)

Fram: I shall email you one of these days.

Reflections: I dont talk much about it because there are some gory memories attached. But yes, I`m sure those stories would make an interesting read.
And yes, isnt it so common back home for the electricity to 'go'? :) Its strange people have to voluntarily switch off the lights here whereas back home, we hardly ever have a choice :)

Solilo: yes, I have been meaning to ask you since the time I read your comment on one of Bones`s post. Where in Jammu where you? I was at Akhnoor and Nowshera for a while. Then at Rajouri and later for most parts, at Mendhar(Poonch).

Unknown said...

Piper

Lovely post. Ranchi..sigh...studying in the kerosene lamps,petromax, and finally the emergency light's light. Jammu is no better of course ..have seen that too now that parents live there.
Ashamed to say did not do anything particular for earth day. Wish had read ur post earlier, would have been inspired to do something. BTW the first time my America born kid experienced a light cut, in Jammu that was...he was traumatized.Since we will be going back for good this year, he has a lot to learn.

Renu said...

obscurity called Ranchi,---I always considered Ranchi as the most beauitiful developed place:)

In my hometown, we dont count load shedding rather the time electricity is there:)

Piper .. said...

Chrysalis: yeah, I was remembering all that too. We have fixed hours of 'load shedding' in the evenings these days at Ranchi. Almost everyone has emergency lights or inverters! :)

Renu: :) same for me too! Especially in summer, we literally count the electricity hours! :)

roop said...

we forgot about it!!! and did it mid way thru. :/ justified that we do our share of earth hours when we visit india hehe ... hope all's well, darl! i am sure it is. :)

im sorry i've been so busy. have to catch up with so much. this feeling unwell has got me back so much. it still hasn't healed. really deep burn it seems. blah. in time i hope.

TheChicGeek said...

Hi Piper :) What a beautiful post.
You've had such an interesting life. I love your positive and cheerful attitude. It's been nice having you commenting on my blog :) I'll have to follow you too :)
Have a Wonderful Day!

Piper .. said...

Roop : Ohh you poor thing! Its back again, is it? :(:( shall email you.

TheChicGeek : Thank you. I couldnt help but comment. And I just had to tell you what 'Tara' means in my language :):)

Solilo said...

We were near Satwari. Did schooling in Gandhi Nagar, Jammu.

As for Kashmir, we were in Avantipur.

Indyeah said...

*in awe*you were in the army?:O
cool!how awesome is that?though its
tough and yet must have been something to put on the uniform and all:))


yeah the power situation in India is quite dismal:((
though one barely felt it in the defence forces..

loved reading about your life and was fascinated...:)

Piper .. said...

Solilo: heyy Satwari is where the Indian Army cantt. is. I was there for a while. Mostly I was never in Jammu city but around Jammu district.

Indyeah: thanks my friend. I do have so many stories that would make an interesting read. But somehow I havent really narrated any..