Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Visit to the Zoo

I am overwhelmed by all the wishes,prayers and hugs coming my way.I don't know how else to thank everybody. Hence this note.
When I wrote the previous post, I was in a state of shock. All that I needed was some assurance,some hope. I am still grappling to come to terms with what is.
I have no doubts in my mind as to what I should do at this hour of crisis.
I thank everybody for all your love and support.
Sometimes along the path of life, you come across things that appear black and white. But a closer look would reveal shades of grey, albeit microscopic at some levels. I am traveling one such path today.
But I`m smiling. Because I`m not alone..

On a brighter note,to celebrate the last day of Spring Break, The G and I went to the Como Zoo here at the Twin Cities. It was a perfect day.
Bright, colorful parents frantically running behind excited children. Excited children running around the enclosures, shouting "Mr. Tiger, Mr.Tiger, Can ye hear me?!!". Mr. Tiger hiding behind dark shadows and pretending not to hear.
Ohh and there were penguins too! Tiny flapping,waddling baby penguins that stood on the artificial banks and stared back. One even flapped its tiny wings in response to my wild flailing!
A growling,irate Gorilla sitting at the mouth of a cave,occasionally shielding its eyes from the intrusive glare of cameras.
Two big Orangutans. The Mommy clutching a ragged cloth with one long hand and the branches with the other, as she made her way to the top of the enclosure. A little baby hanging onto her neck and licking her all the while. And then perching on the top most branch, She wiped her little baby with the rag and looked down on us. We looked up and smiled.She merely smirked.
There was lots to see really.
One lone Zebra that stood there and hung its head. A mother giraffe that pushed its baby back and paced about guardedly.
Happy, dancing sea lions that came up for food every now and then. And dived back into the waters. Swimming their way through life.
A senile,doddering lion that lay with his head on a roll of rubber tyre. Submissive. Resigned. Tired. A bright colorful throng danced around the enclosure,making absurd gestures to draw his attention. A harried mother clung onto her charge for dear life.
"Look at his eyes! Can you see how angry he is?"
The child stood back and stared. So did I.
Indeed there was a glaze in those eyes.
I stared long and hard.
What it anger?

I came back home,humbled.

I woke up this morning to yet another new day. And it is the same. As alike, as it is distorted. As distorted as yesterday was from the day before. And I wonder how it will be tomorrow. I don't see a pattern. I don't remember what I was thinking when I woke up, or what I dreamt, or what was the last thought I had before I fell asleep.
And I wonder.
The leaves of the trees move with the wind but there is never the same pattern in which the tree will sway.
I think about those fleeting moments when I`ve marveled at the beauty of the creator.The last time it was the smile of a two year old. As also, the loving caress of a mother orangutan. Or the lion as it lay with his head on a roll of rubber tyre. Finally he can relax, let go. The fight is over. The inevitable has occurred. Yet the look in his eyes stays clear in my mind.
What did it say?
Was it anger? Was it fear? Was it pain? Was it a glaze of tears or Was it just my imagination?
And today as I wake up, still not out of bed, those eyes..they flash in front of me for one solitary second. And I think to myself.
But He was Born Free. Oh He was Born Free!
No one Should take that away from him, don't you think..

28 comments:

Unknown said...

The 100th time...love the way you write and am so glad that you had some respite from some really trying days. I have Uncle in my prayers.
And yes born free and should live free...I have never been a big fan of circuses, aquariums and zoos.

neeraj_only said...

hey piper, good to know you are doing fine. virtual world (net ) becoming real these days .In real world we find people running around , as if no-one has time . but virtual world has people with ample time to share thoughts. :)

oh zoo....must have been big fun.Specially with zoos , all of us have memories from childhood days. I was so fascinated by life of animals ( who can forget "jungle book" and "panchatantra" ).

btw , take care ...cya

Renu said...

Even I find avisit to the ZOO very rejuvenating. My family always wonders, why I am so intersted in always going there, when i have seen some best ones, but I want to see Zoo in every city I visit:)

Fram Actual said...

Piper ....

It has been a while since I was at the Como Zoo. It is nice to hear you had some fun in light of the parental situation you have been going though at this time. Hang in there.

Born free. I think I know your lion's feeling. I need some woods/river time myself.

Deeps said...

Wow!What a post,Mishy!I'm glad you are trying to put your crisis behind and look at the brighter side of life.
A visit to the zoo always cheers my Namnam too.It is so overwhelming to see the look of wonderment in the kids' eyes whwn they see so many animals,isnt it??

D said...

I do think that too. It is cruel to see the majesty of a lion hedged in by the confines of a zoo. Animals weren't meant for zoos, they were meant for the open spaces of the jungle.

Poonam J said...

Piper....I donot have to visit the zoo, i already did thru your post..Your writing is so simple and so alive.And now here I am thinking of those eyes, they flash in front of me too..Born free..are we all not born free, yet get chained by our thoughts and dreams. Also if all of us are born free..why are we not equals in dignity and right.....Sad indeed, that we want our own freedom...but chain others...Hope your dad is fine.

Piper .. said...

Chrysalis: :) Thank you! I know..it felt so sad to see them all caged up.

Neeraj: Thank you for the wishes. And yes, it was a day well spent, though I dont like the idea of keeping animals imprisoned.

Renu: The only zoo I`ve ever been to before this is the one at Kolkata. But I was too young to remember anything. Here of course it was a different experience. Because I was old enough to realize the cruelty of man!

Fram: Oh but you must go ahead. Summer and Fall are pbly the best seasons to..

Deeps: yes, I was excited too. But it made me sad really. I dont know how animals survive in enclosures like this. They are meant to be free..just like the ones who caged them up.

D: Wholeheartedly agree! :)

Poonam mam: thank you! And yes, I completely agree. Its sad how we fight for our own freedom and yet imprison animals for recreation!

Anonymous said...

YOu write beautifully.. I've visualised it all!!

I'm so glad you had a good time.. Its worth putting your worries down sometimes... and zoos I guess.. are the best place to do this!! With all the happy kids and happy (or frustrated) parents.. I'm sure you tend to forget everything!!

Anonymous said...

he was born free. :( u write so well.

glad to see u doing better otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Mish, It was fun going through visual world of zoo. You wrote so well. I could sense a kind of relief in it.

We have a wild life Safari here where animals roam around freely. We take Peanut there at least once a month. It is always fun to see a Lion from so near sleeping after a heavy meal and Ostriches coming and knocking on our car windows.

Indyeah said...

Glad to see you back Piper:))
(((hugs)))

yes,I have been to 2 zoos before and the ones in India suck!because of the pathetic conditions they keep the animals in!

and I am sure that the conditions are better there and yet the question remains doesnt it?
he was born free

all of them were

and look at what we have done to them!:((
I hate zoos now:(

Piper .. said...

Patricia: thank you :) Yes, it was a great day, though I came back a little sad. Its not fair to cage up animals, is it?

Roop : yes, he was born free, just like you and me. Isnt it funny? We do this for our recreation??!!

Solilo: Yes, a safari would be nice. Its the small enclosures that made me sad. Imagine a lion having to sleep/eat/live in a cell.

Indyeah: :):) Hugs back. The living conditions are definitely better than what I have seen in the Kolkata zoo. But even then, its unfair,dont you think..

TheChicGeek said...

Hi Piper :) You write so well. I'm glad you are doing well and had fun at the zoo. I love to visit the zoo myself :) It's very peaceful and nice to be with nature and appreciate it!
Thanks for visiting my blog too :)
Have a Happy Day!

Renu said...

Outside India I loved San dieggo Zoo, its beautiful.
I saw in calcutta also in 80's, at that time it was beautiful.

Mystic Margarita said...

Piper, So glad to see that you had a few moments of respite from the worries that have dogged you recently.

And yes, animals are born free and should live free. Your description of the zoo and the animals is so beautiful I felt I was right there with you. Will mail you. Hugs.

Sunshine said...

ohh that was a lovely post Piper! :)

"But He was Born Free. Oh He was Born Free!"

thats such a true line...it does sadden the heart to see these majestic animals cooped up with no space...but on the other hand i do love the orangutans, penguins, sea lions, giraffes and zebras that I get to see in safari's/ zoos...kind of selfish perhaps? :S

hope ur doing better and so is ur dad! do send my best wishes! :)

Indian Home Maker said...

Yes I do Piper. Loved this post.
Zoos depress me and make me feel so helpless.

Zoos should only be used as temporary shelters - and then as close as possible to the animals' natural habitat.

We have to switch from Zoos to the concept of National Wild Life Sanctuaries... what we see in the zoo is not the way animals really live ...

Piper .. said...

TheChicGeek : Thank you! Yes it was lovely. Though I dont fancy the idea of caged animals :( And Welcome to my space! :)

Renu: Kolkata zoo is huge but the living conditions arent that great as here.Either way, the whole concept is weird - to cage up animals for our recreation! Havent been to San Diego.

Mystic: :) Thanks. Shall wait for the email :)

Sunshine: :)Thanks Kiddo. Shall do. And yes, a safari is much,much better really. I guess so, though I havent been to one to personally give my opinion.

IHM: :) thanks! Yes, I guess sanctuaries/wild life safaris are pbly much better than caged enclosures. I did come back very sad..

Anonymous said...

Piper,
I read that you will be leaving on a jet plane...safe travels and God Bless you and your family! Take care of everyone and everything you need to attend to. Life's many joys can occur during those precious moments of caring and sharing.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, do look into the option of 'yoga- the Indian way' while you are there. I regret not doing that on my last visit- lesson learned!
xoxo

Just call me 'A' said...

i don't like zoos...i feel very bad to see all the animals caged.

how are you holding up? this too shall pass, difficult though it may be. please remember that should you feel the need to share anything and need someone random to talk too....i'm not too far away :)

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Lovely descriptions! And a mush needed outing too.

And perhaps what you noticed in the lion's eyes was a sense of world-weariness?

Take heart dear. There is sunshine to be found, as I am sure you know.

Piper .. said...

Salina: Thank you for your support. I guess I need to be home, more for my Mom than for anybody else. And yes, I am reading up about yoga,as you have suggested. I`m seriously considering it.

Just call me A: heyy thanks a lot,my friend. :) How are you doing now? Feeling any better?

M4 : 'weariness' is the exact word I was looking for.. you`re right! And how was your play?

Bong Mom said...

Ekhuni tomar ager post ta dekhlam. Pore my heart did a lurch. I am always worried about the same thing. Situations are such we cannot move back now. If I ask my parents to move, they don't want to do that either. Sottyi nijeder selfish mone hoy

Ekhon tomar Baba bhalo achen jene anek nishchinto laglo. Bhalo thko
Hugs

Piper .. said...

Sandeepa: Thank you so much for your wishes. I guess aamra shobai aik i situation e.. And its impossible for parents to uproot their lives and move in with us...

Renu said...

I just love reading bengali on ur blog comments:)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful. Vivid and touching. I feel so sad.

Piper .. said...

Renu: :) I guess you did mention one time that you understand bengali :)

writerzblock: thank you and yes, isnt it sad? The way we treat our animals?