Monday, March 30, 2009

I am Me. And I am Good. Becos God dont Make No Junk!!

I took this Personality Test a few days back. I normally am pretty cynical about these tests but I have been astounded by the accuracy of this one. So here goes :

Click to view my Personality Profile page

Introverted (I)
Introversion is a preference to focus on the world inside the self. Introverts tend to be quiet, peaceful and deliberate and are not attracted to social interactions.

Yes,yes,yes!! But I wasnt always like this. Those who know me from school will probably be surprised reading this. Infact most of my family (Mom Dad and sis for sure!) would find this really astounding. I have always lived upto this image that people have had of me. In fact when I started writing this blog, the first few posts were claims of me being this bold,outgoing New Age woman!
Over the past couple of months, I realized that deep under the veil,that is not who I am. I dont like being that woman I talk about.
Me an introvert??!!
Yes, I am one. In fact I will go so far as to say that I`m a loner.
And I like it.
This is the person I am most comfortable being.

Sensing (S)
* Concrete
* Realistic
* Lives in the present
* Aware of surroundings
* Notices details
* Practical
* Goes by senses
* Factual
No, not quite true for me. Not at all true in fact. I wish I was more realistic. I tend to brush away worries under the carpet so I never have to deal with them. I`m like an ostrich that way. As long as I can bury my head in the ground and safely avoid looking trouble in the eye, I convince myself that it does not exist. I wish I was more practical about the world and its ways that I so grapple to live with.

Feeling (F)
* Decides with heart, subjective
* Dislikes conflict
* Passionate
* Driven by emotion
* Gentle
* Easily hurt
* Empathetic
* Caring of others
* Warm
:):) I guess this is me. Its ironic really. To quote from one of my previous posts:

"Over the years I have acquired a reputation for tactlessness, being too outgoing, too unconventional by standards set by a medieval society, too open and laughing at the wrong people at the wrong place, a worrying lack of respect for the hierarchy..while on the domestic front i continue to be startlingly naive."

"Well meaning" relatives and friends think of me as this person who wouldnt ever mince words or think twice before telling them exactly what I think of them. I have done that to a lot of people. I still do with some.
But it scares me if I have to. And I dont do it unless I feel like the world will collapse on my head. I hate to get into a confrontational mode. I hate being noticed. I`m the kinds who normally sneaks into a party(if I ever go to one!) unnoticed and quietly sit in the darkest corner to avoid people!
But trust me, that`s not something most people would imagine me to be! Not even those who think they *really* know me.
On maturer thoughts, No one *really* knows me except for The G.

Perceiving (P)
* Adaptable, Flexible
* Relaxed
* Disorganized
* Care-free
* Spontaneous
* Changes tracks midway
* Keeps options open
* Procrastinates
* Dislikes routine

Well, mostly true. Except for the first two points. I`m as stubborn and refractory as they come. A true Taurean Bull, if Linda Goodman is anything to go by. I have my own warped up ideas about how the world should be run and by whom. And nothing..I repeat NOTHING in the world can normally shake that idea!
Also, lately it seems that I can never relax. My mind is always in turmoil. Probably a reflection of how my life has been in the last few months, I`m guessing. It takes an effort on my part to sit still and relax. I wish I could do it more often.Like I would at one time.

So that makes me an : ISFP -

Much as I hate to, I must confess that this is an accurate characterization of who I really am. Behind the mask, there`s a cloak(just in case the mask is ripped off). Behind the cloak,there`s a thin veil holding back a fragile conglomerate of fragmented pieces of life. Like a yellow sponge cake. A smile here, a blow there. Lots of laughs thrown in for good measure. Memories soaked in tears and wrinkled and yellow over time. A generous mix of anger, bitterness and fear - lightly beaten into a batter and baked until ready to present to an unsuspecting world.. The mask, the cloak and the veil all hold up air within the batter, for it to rise evenly. To breathe free and clear. If these layers are peeled off, the batter collapses. The fragile conglomerate breaks. And I`m left cold and shivering.

That`s me, Guys. Or perhaps just an alter ego under the veil.
Love Me. Or Hate Me.
But Pray, Dont be Indifferent :)

And with that, my list shows a 100 posts (I still have a few unpublished ones, but I am so excited about this that I just had to share it with you).
A request to all my anonymous and silent readers. Do drop in to say hello, just this once. Just to celebrate this 100.

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Piper

First of all the title of your post ...rings some bells..Moral values Class, a John Major look alike Father, the movie Dead Poets Society.....am I right? This is still one of my favorite quotes ever.

Second, indifference is somehting you need not be afraid of. That is certainly not coming your way.

Third, you as an introvert is difficult to imagine but your posts are reflective of how you have changed.

Fourth, intovert is good I guess. Quiet time leads to soul searching, which can never be bad.

And lastly we all are multi layered I guess. And you are no junk and I love you :).

PS do check out my attempt at 55 word Fiction.

Indian Home Maker said...

Congratulations on your 100th post :)

Look forward to reading many, many more :)

'"Well meaning" relatives and friends think of me as this person who wouldnt ever mince words or think twice before telling them exactly what I think of them. I have done that to a lot of people. I still do with some.
But it scares me if I have to.'



Isn't it amazing how these tests make us look at ourselves afresh?
We are conditioned to believe we are shy or bold or we enjoy such colours or such music, I grew up believing I was shy and reserved. At the age of 30 when someone said something about my being confident I was shocked :)

So this post is doubly interesting, in analysing how we see ourselves sometimes with other's eyes!

Fram Actual said...

I think I will display my split personality by loving you on weekdays, and by hating you on weekends and holidays. Fair enough?

You are turning into quite the descriptive writer, Piper, and you certainly are letting your hair down, figuratively speaking. I think writing a blog is very good for you in an emotional sense, especially with the personal turmoil about your parents going on within you.

I enjoy reading every post you write, and will be looking forward to your next 100.

Sunshine said...

congrats Piper on ur 100th! :)

and i wholly agree with your assessment of Taureans or rather Linda Goodman's assessment - we do have our own ideas of how the world should be run innit?

i sometimes think these warped ideas of mine is wht gets me into trouble coz unfortunately the world and its inhabitants dont always behave the way i want them to!

Unknown said...

Sorry Piper...not an afterthought just my diminshing mental faculties post motherhood...CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your 100th.

Renu said...

Congrats Piper ! wish to read many more hundreds !

I didnt even try this test as they want me to register, and I dont like doing that:)

and u can never be a junk..for me u will always be this sweet little girl.

Solilo said...

Mish, Congratulations on your 100th post and I hope to read a lot more. {{Hugs}}

These personality tests always gives you something which you can associate yourself with. Just fun.

I love your title. Suited for all of us.:)

We're us
We're good
Because God made us
And God don't make junk.

D said...

Seems like the test worked for everyone except me. I just didn't agree with the results it threw up.

D said...

Oh, and HAPPY 100th POST :)

Serendipity said...

:) i took this test too. we're like Yin and Yang in the results by the looks of it :)

My introversion line was almost non existent :D

arent you in town/home? Mail me, lets meet if we can? :)
hope Dads doing better..

Poonam J said...

Congratulations Piper, on your 100th post.

Over the past couple of months, I realized that deep under the veil,that is not who I am. I dont like being that woman I talk about.
Me an introvert??!!
Yes, I am one. In fact I will go so far as to say that I`m a loner.
And I like it.
This is the person I am most comfortable being.
...Loved this part.Only this morn. i was telling Joe..that I am percieved as this fun loving woman, who always laughs...but when ever I sit down to pen...I am all serious...so which one is the real me??? and then I read your post....Guess am a serious person..The most interesting thing about life is, that every day is an awakening, we keep growing and discovering ourselves.Loved the heading too..but I would call it.....
(I doubt, therefore I think; I think therefore I am)"...Nice post Piper..Hope all is well with your dad.

moon said...

Congrats for your century...

By the way if you take the test again, do you think you will end up with the same result?

Salina said...

Congrats on the century. Indeed quite a stake in the ground! My personal opinion- your best one yet! Really could sense your aura and connected with how you could have been feeling while writing..I think that is truly the magic of writing in this space- be whoever you want to be and come out of every shadow you would want to hide in. And it's true, I think 'introvert' would be a strange word for those who have probably seen you in action...or could it be a little more complicated than that? Perhaps we are all multi-faceted, multi-layered individuals with a whole lot of depth than what meets the eye! And you're rite..He certainly don't! (Say it with major attitude!):) Congratulations once again!

J P Joshi said...

Congratulations on your century and what a century this has been. I have witnessed a few sixes and fours and they have real beautifully batted. Missed a lot but do hope to keep up with your next century..... and beyond. You have this gift from God (I haven't seen your writing though)....so, keep writing.

Piper .. said...

Chrysalis: :) I was referring to a quote by Brother Kevin Ward - remember he came to visit us when we were in Std 9, I guess? :) Thanks for the wishes.

IHM: Thanks a lot! And yes, 'conditioned' is the word I was looking for. Yes, it will come as a surprise to many who 'know' me - I have always portrayed this 'cheerful,bold girl image' to the world. Wondering if that makes me a hypocrite of sorts..

Fram: Thank you :) and yes, its a little startling to me as well, that I should suddenly start this honest unveiling of self on a public platform. I guess its a kind of an easy catharsis of sorts. Or may be I`m just going crazy.. Btw do you ever check your snowgoose email account?

Sunshine: You a taurean too? :) when? mine is on the 4rth of May.

Renu: thanks :) and you`re my biggest ego-booster,if there is such a word :):)

Piper .. said...

Solilo: thanks :) Hugs back. And this was something someone mentioned when we were in std 9. It stuck on somehow..

D: I`m actually too stunned by the accuracy of the test. I have always been too quick to criticize these kinds of generalized tests always.:0

Serendipity: yes I know..we are polar opposites :) Not in Mumbai. Shall leave tomorrow. Dad isnt too well. He`s in the hospital.

Poonam mam: thank you :) I agree..each day I discover something new,something different about myself that I didnt know even existed! :)

Piper .. said...

Sunder : thanks. And yes, I took it three times. The results were exactly the same except for minor variations in percentages. :)

Salina : thank you so much for such warm words of support. You`re right. I guess we all are multi-faceted. Though the fact that mine are polar opposites makes me wonder if its really hypocrisy at some level. Abd the best one is yet to come..Lord knows when :)

JP Sir: :):) thank you so much. You almost make me sound like a great writer or something :) I love it! :)

ALL : Ok guys I feel a little guilty because I havent really published all the 100 posts. But I got all excited because the list shows 100 :):) thanks for all the wishes. :)

Indyeah said...

(((hugs))congrats on the 100th post:))I have to go and read the last one too:)


the title is awesome btw:))
and yeah god certainly didnt make no junk:D
((hugs))
keep going:)

Anonymous said...

So be it. Hello, then :)
And wish you all the best always.

T,
Lancaster.

Piper .. said...

Indyeah: :) Thanks my friend!

Anonymous(T Di): :):) thank you. Hugs to the lil one.

Renu said...

You are a taurean? 30 years back my best friend was also a Taurean:)

Mystic Margarita said...

Congrats on the 100th post, Piper! Here's to many many more to come. Hugs.

Reflections said...

Hey.....didnt see this post.

Congrats!!! 100 posts is sure a milestone since we all know how difficult it is to post even 1.

And the title is superb!!!!!

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Wow! I've been a way for quite a while now! I'm quite the introvert too. Really shy when it comes to meeting new people! Just don't know what to say...

I think Linda Goodman had me more or less pegged when she said that Aquarians don't just build sand castles in the air...they shift bag and baggage and move in permamnently!

And a bit belated but no less heartfelt...CONGRATULATIONS on your 100! I look forwad to reading hundreds more!

Indian Home Maker said...

Please Guess and Win the 55 Words Fiction Correct Guess Award

http://indianhomemaker.wordpress.com/2009/04/11/55-words-she-waited-to-be-alone/

Amrita said...

Congratulations on the 100!
And yea we all have the heady mix of black and white which makes us such perfect greys... loved the analogy with cakes in the end....


btw brother Kevin Ward! :S he made a trip to our school too in cls 9 :S ..... Is this mere coincidence?

mummyjaan said...

Apparently, I'm an ISFP too. Aren't personality tests fun?