Monday, June 14, 2010

Those were the days, my friend..

Life, they say, is a strange place. Shuffling along, alone and a little weary, I came to a crossroad and there he was, walking towards me one August afternoon. Time stood still just for a moment as I found myself hurtling down an endless tunnel. And I knew that very instant that the falling would be slow, dark and abiding.
S was our neighbor`s son, all of 22, who was visiting home for summer and who would soon be my Maths tutor. He happened when I was all of 15, had braces on my teeth and sparkling dreams in my eyes. High school board exams were around the corner and Ma decided she seriously had enough with my poor grades. Much to her relief, S`s mom came to her rescue.
"Of course he can help her," she squeaked with obvious pride, " He`s in engineering school now. What`s high school level Maths for him!" I protested animatedly just to throw Ma off track, all the while reveling in the warmth of the distant possibilities my mind had already conjured up.
Fast forward to the first lesson that was to begin in 10 minutes and I was already there in the community room of our apartment complex in eager anticipation. Wonder of wonders, so was he! For a while, not knowing what to do, I sat there absentmindedly shredding a tissue into flakes that settled on my black school bag. Soon it was time to begin. I hurriedly shoved my bag aside and tried hard to focus on the Maths textbook, all the time trying to avert my eyes as I sat across him in that room. The rest of the afternoon is a big blur. All that I remember from that afternoon is the way his lips curled at the corners as he spoke. And how startled I was at how tall he seemed from such close quarters. That, and how from certain angles and in certain lights, he resembled his crazy mother! But I brushed those thoughts aside.
" You did great!" he said finally.
I flashed him what I hoped was an alluring smile.
"I`ll see you on Tuesday. 4 o clock."
"You will?" I grunted, taken aback by my own display of immense dimwittedness..
"Hmm..well, see you around then." And he was gone. A wave of relief washed over me as I saw him quickly disappear. It was slowly getting difficult to breathe.
And so it went on. Glorious days of waiting for those Maths lessons. And two hours into them, two long hours in which I flitted from one textbook to the next, my attempts at cheery banter so edgy and stiff that at moments I felt almost foolish. There were days when we sipped on chilled cola drinks in plastic cups and let the conversation drift to topics outside our permitted domain. Graduate school life. His friends and mine. Family ties and how he was grappling with the expectations thrust upon him by demanding parents. And as we spoke, I watched his eyes glued to the skin of my hands in a long, fixed stare and I remember quickly moving my eyes to the bubbles of the drink rushing madly to the rim of the plastic cup. Oh I was in love. I was so in love! Now is the time I should speak up,I remember thinking. Instead, I found myself staring at an invisible screen separating us, the kind that glided smoothly into place whenever I approached anything intimate.
I reckoned I was going through a second childhood or maybe catching up on all the youthful rebellion in the name of love(!!) that I never had, given that mine was an all girls` school. I gave it some thought before I realized that it was true. I was showing all the classic symptoms. I put unnatural colors in my hair (much to Ma`s consternation!). I spent hours in the bathroom getting dressed! I was going out a lot in the hope of catching a much coveted glance and coming back late, reeking of forbidden desires. I had ever-growing phases in the day when I forgot that the high school board exams were near. I danced longer and wilder than anyone else in the community dinner hosted by all the residents of our apartment complex, until Ma dragged me away with firm arms and a steely look that threatened to tear me apart, while all others quickly moved aside, appalled. Yes, I was in love.
"This cant go on much longer," he said to me one day and I almost dropped the biscuit I was chewing on. I calmly dusted off the biscuit, soaked it in the tea cup and watched half of it dissolve to the bottom in lumps. I pretended this had been my plan all along and sipped the tea (which now had biscuit scum floating on the surface) with as dignified a look as I could muster. Then I coughed loudly for about 10 seconds and only then did I say, "Pardon?" He let it go and we chatted about the dinner he was attending that weekend with some old friends. I bit my lip so hard that I may have left a scar, but I did not ask for further clarification. I wanted it that way. That was where I wanted to be, pregnant with possibilities, full of hope. Nothing was defined between us. Nothing was overstated. By some tacit understanding, we were just the two of us and I felt safe that way.
Up until then, that room with its grimy blinds, worn out leather chairs and chipped off wall paint was the most perfect place to be. Every time I walked into it and shut the door behind me, I imagined that all around me the hands on the clocks stopped, the sand in hourglasses halted mid-trickle, the universe skidded to a halt - a frozen world outside and in here, the two of us. Every day I knew there was one less day of us together. Once the tests were over, there would be no reason for me to come here again. The waiting would be over. A new life awaited.
But God, I was besotted.
Even now when I get a flashback to those days, I smell the familiar smell of those blinds and the leather chairs and I`m back there, 15 again, stupid, skinny and in love. My spine springs up, I feel layers of dimpled flesh peel off my being, my cheekbones come back alive and I find myself running down the road towards him, like there is no tomorrow. But there always is. There was.
Three years back when I was visiting home, happily married to The G and the past indiscretions all forgotten, I bumped into him again. As we exchanged pleasantries and polite introductions to our better halves, I smiled to myself. He looked more and more like his mother and as I shared a knowing smile with someone who had held my heart for a while, I couldn't help sending a quiet prayer of thanks to the Heavens up above. The old times were good times, I said. But Thank You God, for now is so much better. And then I turned back and walked away.


This is my entry for this week`s Blog Adda Contest in collaboration with Pringoo.
Within you I lose myself...

Myself
Within you I lose myself...

24 comments:

Chatterbox said...

Beautiful post painted in evergreen glorious memories of the past :D

Best wishes for the contest :)

Shankha said...

This is really nice! Neatly written! All the best for the contest.

Shilpa said...

This is a phase of life which we all will cherish :P

MRC said...

Piper

This is such a sweet post! Took me back to my first crush, and all the idiotically silly plans to be noticed by him! Could almost hear "Pehla Nasha" playing in the background ;)

All the best for the contest. :D

Sraboney said...

Well written...All the best for the contest!

Sunshine said...

ohh lovely post Piper! brought back memories of a similar first love...only it was my Computer Science Project that he was helping me with...and i did end up dating him for a bit! He was my first love...and whenever i think of him; i cant help but shake my head at that silly 15 yr old who changed outfits a million times before deciding on the 'perfect' one to meet him! :P

ohh and all the best for the contest!

Deeps said...

Aaaah..your phirst crush!!!

Beautifully penned, Mish.. First crush always stays in your mind, doesnt it..you somehow remember each every feeling and emotion it evoked in you :)

Wish you all the very best for the contest :)

moon said...

Nice memories to cherish?

Swaram said...

Hey thatz so beautiful Piper. Luved it :)
I ws glued to it from start to end .. best of luck for the contest :)

ani_aset said...

this was so well written loved every bit of it :) and yeah thank god at all times :D

Reflections said...

Heeeeee.....;-D

I had the goosebumps....heeee;-D

Piper .. said...

Chatterbox: :) thank you!

Shankha: Thanks! And welcome to my space :)

Shilpa: I guess so.. :)

MRC: You know, I was so taken in by that song! :) Now I think back and laugh about it! I might have been so transparent and I wonder what Ma would go through!!

Sraboney: Thanks :) I have a track record of never winning contests though! :):)

Piper .. said...

Sunshine: You sound so excited and happy! :):) You should do a post too, kiddo! :)

Deeps: I do remember it so vividly! In fact there was a friend of mine in the same apartment who had the same crush! And imagine how we would fight for this guy`s attention! :):)

Sunder: of course! :) there are several more! :):)

Swaram: Thanks! And where`s your entry???

ani_aset: Hey..so good to see you here again! It`s been a while. How have you been?

Reflections: :):) you better watch out for your girls now! :):)

eN said...

Beautiful write-up. Nicely narrated. Good luck :)

Fram Actual said...

When I drift off into thoughts and moods such as you describe, Piper, my mind always begins to dwell upon "what if." Imagination is wonderful in that regard, but I would prefer to have a time machine so I could relive the events and choose a path different than the one I selected. My curiosity is insatiable.

As Robert Frost said: "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both ...."

Good writing, good work.

ani_aset said...

had my exam on 6th june so i'm back again :)

Garima said...

Awwww!!! Such wonderful memories... there is always something special about the first crush.. no matter where you go in life... you always smile with the image of the first crush.

Piper .. said...

Nandana: Thank you! :) And welcome to my space! Hope to see you again!

Ani_aset: Good to see you back :):)

Fram: Well, that`s a dangerous territory to venture into - the "what if"" zone! :):) Have you read 'The bridge across forever' by Richard Bach? It is along the same lines you mention - about having a time machine which would take you back in time, so you could choose a different route! :)

GNSD: Yes, they are fond memories :):) and the kinds I`ll not forget in a hurry :)

Fram Actual said...

No, Piper, I have not read it .... but I will keep my eyes open for it ....

PNA said...

That's so beautifully written Piper... :) I could just feel it, every word u wrote:) Nothing less that beautiful..

:):)

Piper .. said...

Fram: It`s a good book. Basically deals with the 'what ifs' :)

PNA: Hey..thanks for such warm words! :):)

Poonam J said...

Piper..i smiled through post...you made me go down memory lane, an I guess for some instances, your memory never lets you down, age does not catch up...a very cute post.....And Dear all the best for the contest...waiting to hear.

Indian Home Maker said...

Reading it late, but loved it... loved all the description also :)

It's a realistic story... I am sure a lot of us can see it happening. And best is the not so fairy tale happening which is still a fairy tale ending ;)

Samvedna said...

Very sweet post!~ The tender age of 15 is made for mush:)..evrything looks and seems to be so romantic:)