Friday, June 4, 2010

The Good of Small things..

I have always been very excited about celebrating birthdays. Mostly my own. I love feeling special. I love the fact that one day of the year is just to celebrate me, my very being :) When I was a kid, I never really had big birthday parties with a theme and a designer cake and lots of friends over. Mine were mostly simple affairs, with Mom baking a simple cake and a lavish dinner, a few balloons and the neighborhood kids and cousins. But I always attended some of my classmates` birthday parties. Most were lavish affairs that I secretly wished I could host. And it was pretty mortifying, not be invited to someone`s party, especially when your best friend was! In the later years of school, I remember 'going out' for lunch with friends. Mom would give me money to pay the check and I remember feeling so important! But nothing could quell the secret longing for a swanky birthday bash(the kind I never had!). And so over the years as I grew up, celebrating birthdays became more and more of a child-like obsession (like the 8 year old ones I once had and never grew out of!)!
This year I had the perfect birthday. I woke up to a bright morning and a flood of emails and birthday messages! From friends, from people I was not in touch with, from people I`ve never met too! I cannot explain why this was so moving, but it was! And one of the high points of the day was a surprise card by Sagarika, which completely blew my mind off (in the nicest way possible!). I couldnt imagine doing the same - making special efforts for someone I hardly know, just to make the other person`s day a little brighter. I am so touched by this gesture and very, very humbled too! It brought back several fond memories.
My best friend since school always took special care to prepare birthday cards for me. She once gifted me an assorted collection of all our favorite songs(including our all time favorite 'That`s what friends are for'! Check this out, J!), having made special efforts to look around for the songs and record them herself! I have cherished all those cards and much more over the years.
Which is what set me thinking.
I dont remember a single thing I may have gifted or done, not a single gesture that someone might have cherished over the years. But then, I think about all the times when I`ve just been around, heard someone out, cried together, whined and complained or simply laughed together. And I wonder if that is ever enough. I wonder, because sometimes it isnt with me. Sometimes I need to be pampered, made to be felt special just because. And I`m not talking of gifts that one can buy by throwing money at them. Expensive jewelery or clothes or perfumes or what have you! I`m not even talking of everyday things like waking up 10 minutes early to pack a fancy lunch for the kids (though there is something fascinating about the immense love hidden behind such diurnal monotony too). I`m simply talking of simple heartfelt gestures which show that you care and how! A thank you note. A hand-made card. Flowers. A surprise dessert date after dinner. An assorted collection of favorite songs. Surprise concert tickets. You know, little things like that, which touch a single chord and the notes resound forever..
I realize that I have truly never done anything like that for anybody! And so I step back, alarmed! Am I always taking and never giving? And more importantly, is the 'Art of Giving' something that one has to cultivate or does it come naturally to people(and sometimes not at all to others!)? Here`s the time to pause and think. Have you ever made an extra effort to show someone you care? Have you ever surprised anyone with a thoughtful gift??

And now for the cards I was talking about.
This one is by Sagarika : Album covers of The Gods(Pink Floyd!). I especially love the bday cake with my name on it!

And this one is a collection of old bday cards especially made for me! (This one`s for you, J!). Please click on the individual snippets in the collage for a better view.
Click to play this Smilebox collage: Piper`s Bday cards!
Sometimes, I see magic in little things.. Do you?

24 comments:

Sagarika said...

If I miss my flight owing to this sudden rush of emotions you are to be blamed!!! ... What have you done.. it's 4:30 amd I am too touched to mose :) (have mailed you a bigger version btw ;p)

Sagarika said...

Thank you so much for making me feel special and efforts appreciated :D .. and trust me you deserved every bit of that PF card ;).. keep smiling Piper

Sandhya said...

Belated Happy Birthday!!
Those kind of gestures always stay with us, in our hearts :-)
I love making cards for people and giving surprises..and loved ones usually know who is behind the gesture...so I am safe to answer your question today!!! :-)

That was one heck of a card made by Sagarika!!

Sraboney said...

I agree with Sandhya - these kind gestures always remain with us...You are lucky to have such friends...

D said...

Belated Happy B'day!!

Chatterbox said...

Beautiful :)
The love care and time spent to create something personal always stays fresh in our memories no matter how much time goes by :)
Those were beautiful gifts indeed :)

Belated Happy Birthday Piper :D

Tara said...

great day to cherish .. you made us feel the same way too .. wishes for a great year !!

moon said...

Belated Happy Birthday....

Sunshine said...

happy belated bday!!! glad u had a wonderful day! :)

i love bdays too!! and looove pampering! i keep telling my mom that my idea of a perfect husband would be someone who would wake me up with chai in bed every morning! :D

hmmm...most thoughful gift was prob an ipod i bot for my best friend! i loaded it with all of his fav songs before gifting it to him! :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to u Piper :):) hugs and kisses :):)

Wow Sags.. missing u more now:)

It's so much fun to surprise somebody and make them feel so special,.. knocks wood:) Mum says a simple sneeze is enough for me to hold a party:):) Planned out some lovely surprises in my life time... and hand made cards are the best.. have a collection of all those cards I've received all thru these years.. :):)

Happy for u, and sad I never knew..
ur presence in time of need is all that matters and makes u very special..

and u are very kind with ur words and makes my day happy happy with all those comments on the blog:)

keep smiling and enjoy.. birthdays are so much fun:)

Ashes

Iya said...

belated birthday wishes. and here is wishing u many such perfect days

Piper .. said...

Sagarika: :):) I hope you managed to catch that flight! :)

Sandhya: I loved the card too! And no, I have never made a card for anyone! :(

Sraboney: That`s my biggest fear - that no one will ever think of me that way! :(

D: :) Thank you! Great to see you here!

Chatterbox: Thank you! :) And yes, these small gestures are something I cherish. Hopefully, someday someone will think of me in that light too :)

Tara: Thank you :) Great to see you here!

Sunder: Thank you! :)

Sunshine: That`s a wonderful gift! The fact that you actually uploaded songs! About the chai part, ahem! I dont want to ruin your fantasies..so dream on! :):)

P&A: Your comment made me smile :):) Thanks a ton!

Iya: Thank you! Great to see you here!! How have you been?

Jira said...

Hey Mishy, belated B-day wishes :)
I still have all the old b-day cards too... They are so precious. Aren't they? So glad to know u had a great b-day! I love celebrating birthdays too. A lot :)

I am a major gift giver :) I put a lot of thought into the person's likes/dislikes, needs etc. before I buy a gift. I always take that extra effort to make someone's day special. It has just always been that way and I love it!

sm said...

Belated Happy Birthday

Swaram said...

A month late ... but still my bestt wishes with u Mishy :)
There's awesome magic in these little things indeed :) May God bless u with many such happy moments :)

Yay to Sagarika ... u remember my bday is cmg soon :P :P

pal said...

Once again, Happy Birthday Mish :-) Loved your post. It was as usual, honest and moving :-) As for the art of giving, I think it is inborn. One cannot cultivate it, unless he/she really really wants to. I can proudly say (where's the modesty disappeared these days?!!!) I have always taken extra trouble to give thoughtful gifts to all my friends/relatives, and am so happy doing it :-) Like they say, I get a 'giver's high!' :-)

Sagarika said...

1st you 'almost' make me miss my flight and then you 'almost' make me choke to emotional death today .. what you upto girl!!!! I'll be back to let you know ejjactly what is going on in the mind and heart.. as of now {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} .. thank you!!!!

Amrita said...

Hey I completely understand where you are getting. Many a times, just being there et al, does help, but you know, the human self, sometimes it does need these "material" demonstrations. So :) Hmmmm go ahead you can start a trend still.

Ps. Wish you wonderful belated happy birthday
Anddddddd... I was being honest in my comment, so no offense :)

Piper .. said...

JIra: I can imagine you being that person :):) I only wish I was a little more that way! :)

sm: thank you :)

Swaram: thank you :):) and I did look up your bday! I`ll TRY to remember ;)

Pal: :) My mom is like that! She keeps talking about the 'giver`s high' that you mention! :) I am normally a giver too and I quite enjoy that! But I never make extra efforts to do so! :(

Sags: Waiting...:):)

Amrita: None taken :):) There wasnt anything to get offended about anyway! :):) You`re right - may be I should try and start a trend! :)

Deeps said...

That was such a beautiful and heart-felt post, Mish. I know I've already wished you but this post makes me want to wish you again..Wish you all the happiness in the world, sweets.
And those are lovely cards,esecially loved the quotes on best friend. So very true!

Love & Hugs

Poonam J said...

Belated Happy Birthday Piper...i started reading this post with asmile...loved it when you say........Mostly my own. I love feeling special. I love the fact that one day of the year is just to celebrate me, my very being.......you sound so much like Me, Piper.
And no, donot agree with you when you say...I dont remember a single thing I may have gifted or done, not a single gesture that someone might have cherished over the years.....Life, friends, relations, people gives you no more than what you give...so said somebody.....so bask in the warmth and love. Beautiful cards Piper.

ani_aset said...

belated happy birthday first :)
And yes it sure takes some effort to do something like this. A personal touch works wonders. I still remember writing a quick poem for a friend who was leaving for US. She buzzed me last night thanking me :) Its a great feeling trust me

Reflections said...

I'm soo sorry I'm late.
Please accept my belated but heartfelt wishes Piper:-))!!!!!

Samvedna said...

Long belated happy Bday !
and magic is always there only in little things..I also cherish these little things more than nay bigger ones.