Tuesday, February 2, 2010

..Where music dwells..


There was a time when I would be sitting on a mountain top, strumming a wooden guitar and singing to keep myself company. Those, unarguably, were the best days of my life.
I was all of five, when Dad introduced me to music. He had a small white Casio keyboard, on which he taught me my very first songs! And then there was no turning back.
Dad played the guitar. He worshiped Clapton, Roger Waters and Jimi Hendrix. He had a band of his own initially. But later on, he went solo. He was the first one to introduce me to some mind-blowing music - Eric Clapton, Simon & Garfunkel, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Don Williams, John Denver to name a few! He was the reason I got interested in Rabindra Sangeet. He was the first one to introduce 'Mohiner Ghoraguli' and 'Suman`s music to me.
I never thought much of it, until The G came along. He was hugely surprised to see Dad`s music collection. He pointed out how rare, how precious it is - To have a Dad who not only shares the same taste in music, but who knows it all, who is actually a 'musical mentor' who introduced me to the kind of music I so love, to the music I grew up listening and still do!
To me and to all others who knew him, Music defined my Dad. Oh!How I aspire to be that person he was. To nurture his legacy. To develop the kind of gift and talent he had, and what he taught me. To center one`s life around music. To make soul stirring music and share them with one`s daughters. To enrich them and help them grow musically. To never accept imperfection but patiently wait for them to catch up,wait till they get the notes just right. To pleasantly surprise the grown up daughters with his deep understanding and knowledge of music. To make the daughters feel proud.
Until his last breath(and I mean it literally), he heard the 'Sound of Silence' by Simon & Garfunkel. It was his favorite song. The song is about a growing apathy towards one another and how interpersonal communication appears to have broken down, how no one cares to listen anymore. Dad cried every single time he heard this song. And I would often wonder why. It is only now that I understand a more personal, a more deeper meaning to the song. I guess it wasnt a single reason but a collage of images the song can conjure up in the mind - the finality of silence from a personal perspective, the loneliness, the isolation, the reaching out of hands for one last touch - I guess that is what the song really means and the reason why it affected Dad so much. It was Dad`s favorite song. I haven't heard it ever since.
But I do think about Dad and his music often. I try not to give it up. It`s the richest legacy Dad left behind. And so I hang on, hoping to make him proud someday.

A long,long time ago, Renu tagged me to do a post on my favorite slow,soulful,melodies. I wonder why soulful music is always slow and sad. Why can the mind accept jarring,blaring notes as soulful? :)
Anyway,I guess I was to compile a list of 10 songs only. But that`s an impossible task. So I`m going to mention all the ones I can think of right now. This isnt a complete list of course. There can never be..

1. Sili Hawa Choo Gayi

2. Zindagi Ke Safar Mein Guzar Jaate Hain Jo Maqam

3. Badi Suni Suni Hai

4. Tujhse Naraaz Nahi, Zindagi, Hairaan Hoon Mai

5. Koi Yeh Kaise Bataye Ki Woh Tanha Kyu Hai

6. Yeh Na Thi Hamari Kismat - Chitra Singh in Mirza Ghalib

7. Baat Niklegi to Door Talaq Jayegi - Jagjit Singh

8. Man Re Tu Kahe na Dheer Dhare - Mohammad Rafi

9. Tum Itna Jo Muskura Rahe Ho - Jagjit Singh

10. Mera Kuch Samaan - Asha Bhonsle

Some Others that I have been listening to, this past week - and that all of you must listen to, atleast once!!
1. Patience - Guns N` Roses

2. Girl in the War - Josh Ritter

3. Why Worry - Dire Straits

4. Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

5. Bridge over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

6. Coming Back to Life - Pink Floyd

7. Suzanne - Leonard Cohen

8. Walls of Red Wing - Bob Dylan

9. Handle me With Care - Traveling Wilburys

10. Most of the Time - Bob Dylan

11. Green Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones

12. Walk the Line - Johnny Cash

13. This Land is My Land - Woody Guthrie

14. Fix You - ColdPlay

15. I Still Havent Found What I`m Looking For - U2

16. Girl from Yesterday - Eagles

And saving up the best for the last :
17. Mousumi Bhowmik - Aami shunechi she din tumi
I will try and translate this Bengali song into English and post it. It is too beautiful a song to miss.

So go on, listen up People. I hope you enjoy these songs, as much as I do :)

20 comments:

MRC said...

Going to check out the links you've posted . Growing up, I've heard and enjoyed similar music (except for Rabindra Sangeet) ,thanks to my father's collection of records.My dad plays the guitar too (unlike you though, I havnt picked up the musical talent from him). I am sure he would have loved to meet and discuss music with your dad.

Sunshine said...

havent heard all the songs coz im @ work but heard the last one and even tho i have no clue what the song was about...the melody is simply amazing...!! it really touches the heart...id love to see the translation!

shall listen to the others and get back to u! :)

Sunshine said...

and im sure u will carry on ur Dad's legacy for music.. :) and this music is something which will ensure he is never too far away from u! *hugz*

Anonymous said...

I think the best inheritance any parents can give to a child is a passion for something, this love for music will stay with you and enrich you all your life!

This was an inspiring post Piper... made me wonder what I do or share that might last forever and through generations...

Many of the songs in your list are my favorites too... will go though them all the day, this is what I am going to be listening to today :)

Samvedna said...

really you are lucky to had a dad like that.

2,3,4,5th are my favourite too...

its nice to see you back.

Reflections said...

Growing up with ur dad sounds awesome:-). Was music his hobby or was it his career also????

Love all the Hindi songs u posted esp Tum itna kyon muskurarahi ho and Tujhse naraaz.

Solilo said...

When I read this post, I had something in my mind and then saw IHM wrote almost the same

"I think the best inheritance any parents can give to a child is a passion for something, this love for music will stay with you and enrich you all your life! "

Lovely list of songs.
Good to see you back, Mish.

Piper .. said...

MRC: Ohh yes, it would have been great! Maybe I can meet him some day :)

Sunshine: You`d like the last one better if you knew what it meant :)

IHM: Ohh I can imagine how wonderful it must feel, to be your daughter :) I`m sure your children worship you as it is :)

Antarman: :) thanks! Do you read my blog? I had no clue :)

Reflections: Ohh it was a hobby. As in, he did dabble a bit in the professional side - he has a few recorded albums and stuff - but he had a regular govt job otherwise.

Sols: I thought of IHM`s comment for a very long time too. What a truly beautiful thought it is, for moms like you and her, to actually think of what they`ll be leaving behind for their kids to cherish..

J P Joshi said...

"..Where music dwells.." is a very inspirational homage paid by a daughter to her father; a father who was also her 'musical mentor'. Your dad's love of good music has found resonance in your heart and that is how his legacy will live on. You have already made him proud, I believe.

Some of the songs that you mention have been my favourites too. I just heard the Sounds of Silence on youtube, after a very long time, and it brought back many old memories - this song is haunting.

Deeps said...

Every post of yours strikes a chord in my heart,Mish. Especially the ones where you talk about your Baba. How much you look up to him and how much of an inspiration he has been to you reflects in your words.

I'm sure you will nurture his legacy for music.
Mish,wherever he is today,he is a proud father already. Just keep that in mind.

I absolutely love the hindi songs you've picked! They are classic.

Hugs and love always :)

Chandrika Shubham said...

Great collection of songs. :)

Lakshmi said...

I love this post and am bookmarking this to listen to each song one by one. Your writing about your dad always makes me stop and read one more time.

Piper .. said...

J P Joshi Sir: Firstly, apologies for the late response. Secondly, your warm words always inspire me and make me feel nice :) Thank you Sir. After reading your comment, I decided to do something I have been meaning to for the longest time - I`m starting guitar lessons from Friday - again after so many years! :)

Deeps: Sorry about the late response. Yes, the hindi songs are lovely! I`m glad you liked them :) Thanks a ton for the warm comments.

Piper .. said...

Chandrika: I`m sorry about the late response. Welcome to my blog :) And thanks for leaving a comment. Hope you stop by again :)

Lakshmi: Heyyy, long,long time... :):) How have you been? I missed your warm comments :)
Yes, the songs are lovely, arent they? I listen to them often..

moon said...

Listened to some of them..nice..the music of johnny cash..refreshing...thanks for sharing..i am not a regular follower of english songs..so new to me..

Anonymous said...

How sweet of you to have posted all the links..I'm off to hear some now.. beautiful collection of songs, Mish.
Btw, I don't understand either.. why the mind refuses to appreciate sounds that jarrrrr.... the other day on the Tube, I saw two young boys, hardly 10, playing something really noisy on an i-Phone and tapping away to glory. The only thing I could do was turn away :-(

Rose said...

Bless. : )

You do your dad prouder than you realise.

Piper .. said...

Sunder: Thanks! You must listen to the few I`ve uploaded here. They are good ones. I`m glad you liked Johnny Cash. Try out a few of his other songs on youtube. You`ll like them, I`m sure.

writerzblock: you`re so right, Pal! I`m so completely disgusted by the new music coming up these days. Just cant bring myself to listen to any of the new stuff. I stick to the good ol` ones :)

Rose: thanks, my friend! :) you just made my day with the warm words! :)

Anonymous said...

some of my all time favorites. it was a joy to listen to them ones more. I remembered my dad and how he introduced me to music and poetry esp Urdu poetry. A very heartwarming post. loved it.

Reflections said...

came here expecting atleast 2 juicy posts to chew on...but nothing;-(

Busy????